MAKE A SHORT FILM!
WIN CASH AND PRIZES WITH THE 2017 SOUTH CAROLINA YOUNG FILMMAKERS PROJECT!
The SOUTH CAROLINA YOUNG FILMMAKERS PROJECT is an annual statewide high school filmmaking competition, hosted by Trident Technical College and the South Carolina Film Commission. All high school students in grades 9-12 who are residents of South Carolina are eligible to enter the short film competition, including public, private and home school students.
Designed to foster media arts skills and bring attention to the next generation of South Carolina filmmakers, the 2017 contest is now open. To participate, students must create a short film (two minutes max) telling a cinematic story in any genre, following the creative challenge and all rules.
Entries will be scored by a panel of independent judges on the criteria described below. Top Ten scorers will screen at a special program at the 2017 Charleston International Film Festival in November, with each Top Ten filmmaker receiving a VIP filmmaker pass to the festival. Winners will be announced at the screening. First Prize receives $500, Second Prize $300, and Third Prize $200.
Use your imagination! Be clever and creative! Most importantly, tell a story. You could win cash, prizes and a spot on the red carpet.
Each short film entry must somehow include a specific prop - a padlock and key. Any will work. A brand new one, old fashioned with skeleton key, etc. Use creativity to fit it into you story, and pick one that works with your film's design and tone.
1. Each entrant must be a high school student (grades 9-12) currently living in South Carolina during the 2017-2018 school year. Students graduating from high school in 2017 may enter, as long as their entry is uploaded and registration form submitted by their graduation date.
2. Each entrant may only enter once.
3. Films must be at least 30-seconds long and no longer than two minutes.
4. All entries must follow the Creative Challenge above, and have at least one 3-second shot of the assigned prop (padlock and key).
HOW TO ENTER:
1. Make an awesome short film, following the contest guidelines and shooting requirements.
2. Upload your film to either YouTube or Vimeo by midnight on Oct. 9, 2017.
3. Tag your video with "SC YOUNG FILMMAKERS" once you've uploaded it.
Films will be judged by a panel of independent judges on the following:
• Script and Story, including approach to the creative challenge (use of padlock and key)
• Production Value
• Design, including graphics, special effects, production design, sets, costumes, etc.
• Overall Impact
View last year's winning short films here.