The good news about permits in South Carolina is that there are relatively few. Please call our office if you have any questions about which places require a special use permit. The few exceptions are:
- Within the corporate limits of the city or county of Charleston.
City of Charleston Office of Cultural Affairs
75 Calhoun Street, Suite 3800
Charleston, SC 29401
- Within the corporate limits of the city of Beaufort. Please click here to review their guidelines.
- Within Horry County and the corporate limits of Myrtle Beach. Please send pertinent details about your shoot to our office, and we will pass the request to the appropriate entities.
- Within Georgetown County. Please click here to review their guidelines and application.
- Within the corporate limits of the city of Greenville. Please click here to review their guidelines and application.
- Within federally owned properties such as federal forests, buildings or military installations. Contact the South Carolina Film Commission: (803) 737-0496.
- All productions are required to send an original copy of their Certificate of Insurance, for a minimum of $1,000,000, naming "The State of South Carolina and its Agents" as additionally insured. Our mailing address:
SC Film Commission
1205 Pendleton St.
The cast of "The Big Chill" in Beaufort, 1980
"Half the people in Hollywood are dying to be discovered and the other half are afraid they will be." - Lionel Barrymore